Skip to main content

The Sublime Feeling of the Dodgers Losing


I can’t stand the Dodgers. Their fans, their ‘Dodger blue’ (it’s just blue), their team, their manager, the entire concept of their baseball team is a thorn in my side. The only nice thing I can say about them is how happy they make me when I see them lose; especially when they lose to the Diamondbacks. Sure, watching them lose from the couch or even at Chase Field is one of the best things in life, but I’d like to think there’s more joy to be found in their downfall. So, in my quest to see the Dodgers lose, I must go into the heart of their operation. On May 9th, in just 9 days, I’ll be at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles with my Archie Bradley jersey on watching my Diamondbacks crush the Dodgers.
 Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Timjarrett
      An overnight trip to LA doesn’t require too much luggage. Here’s what I’d bring:
-       Two shirts (in case one falls victim to a ballpark hotdog induced mustard stain)
-       A pair of pants
-       A pair of shorts
-       My Archie Bradley jersey
-       My black Nike sneakers
-       My Diamondback cap
-       Two pairs of socks
-       Two pairs of underwear
-       $150 cash
-       My phone and charger
-       Some cold brew coffee for the drive
-       Trader Joe’s Giant Peruvian Corn (glorified cornnuts)
-       Car keys (the crux of all of this)
-       My hydro flask
-       My backpack to put it all in

            Driving to LA is undoubtedly a chore. Seven hours of boring highways, rancid smelling cow feed lots, lifeless windmills and dusty drive through towns isn’t how anyone wants to spend their Wednesday morning. With graduation being just the night before, I’ll have to leave early in the morning on Wednesday to get to LA in time for the 7:10PM game. I’ll need a full tank of gas, a good amount of cash to deal with the criminal cost of pumping gas in California, an oil change to turn that light in my car off, and a good amount of snacks to get to LA. Once there I’ll make a stop in Azusa, California to pick up my friend who I’ve known since preschool, Connor. With the way LA traffic is we’ll probably need to leave his house in Azusa at 5:30 to drive the 25 miles to Dodger Stadium and get there 30 minutes before the game. From his place we’ll Uber down to Dodger Stadium and hang out at a bar or two before making our way to the gates and up to the nosebleeds. Hey, baseball is fun to watch, but it’s sure not cheap. Once we’ve got our peanuts and beer we’ll hunker down and get busy relaxing while the Diamondbacks beat the Dodgers.
           
            Once the Diamondbacks win we’ll make our way back to Azusa and meet up with some of Connor’s friends to find a nice brewery and revel in our recent college graduations. After we’ve finished our merrymaking we’ll Uber back to Connor’s house and I’ll take up my bed for the night on Connor’s faux leather couch in the den. I’ll wake up the next morning slightly worse for wear after a night of friends and beers. Connor and I will probably go down to Glendora, a slightly, as he puts it ‘bougee’ neighborhood just east of Azusa for breakfast outside at a café. We’ll probably waste most of the day playing videogames and catching up after our busy semesters. One thing I’ve always appreciated about a friend like Connor is that nothing ever really seems to change even if we haven’t seen each other for a while. Our friendship has had a reoccurring theme of distance ever since we met on the playground at Shadow Rock preschool. In the 3rd grade Connor moved to Japan and would come back every summer until he moved to California for school four years ago. I still see Connor from time to time but even if it’s been a month, a day or a year we’re still the same two friends.
A mostly bald me and Connor.

            After our ‘boujee’ brunch I’ll say my goodbyes and hop back into my two door jeep and make my way back down the I-10 though Palm Springs, Blythe and then Litchfield Park to Tempe. Reinvigorated and rejuvenated from seeing my longtime friend and the Dodgers lose, I’ll set up shop for the summer in Tempe, toiling away at my past due thesis in a research lab in PSD 116.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Cost of a Culture Festival

Back in February my roommate Will made up his mind that he needed to write more. Will’s already a great writer, he currently works at a digital advertising agency as a content writer. But, as one would expect, he became tired of writing about “Five Potted Plants that Look Great on Patios” and “Ten Creative Uses for a Self-Storage Unit”. In order to expand his repertoire and reinvigorate his writing prowess, he dragged me and my roommate, Mason, along with him to the Chinese Culture and Cuisine Festival. Make no mistake I was far from eager to experience what I imagined would be a few hours in a tourist trap. We pulled up to Margaret T. Hance Park, the one that’s literally on top of the 10 in downtown phoenix, to a scene of paper lanterns, Chinese characters and hundreds of tents serving as temporary vending stalls. I immediately felt skeptical of the ‘finanscape’ that I found myself in. Tents hosting the likes of Costco Whole Sale and the Arizona Republican Party were dotted

Early Morning Pizza at the Airport

People seem different when they’re at the airport. I’m not quite sure if I can say it’s a good different or a bad different, they’re just… different. Different in a way that makes them eat pizza and drink a glass of wine at 10:00AM. Different enough to fall asleep in public and not have any cares about people looking on. Different enough to yell right through complete strangers’ ears to get the attention of their children running amok around baggage claim. Yes, the airport, more than any other public space, changes people’s behavior to be different from the norm. I think that the strange behavior of people at the airport can be attributed to the liminal nature of the airport. Business women drinking champagne at 9:45AM and construction workers eating burgers in the next restaurant over both find themselves outside of their day to day routine. This departure from their norms accompanied with the stress of being on time for a flight seems to create some sort of confusion in which

I Dropped the Ball on this one but I hope my Consolation Prize is Pleasing

Guys, I apologize, I really dropped the ball on this first one. I didn't get the chance to go to a farmer's market this weekend and totally forgot about doing it for the rest of the week. This one is on me 100%. Not a good way to start out a blog or the semester really. But, in the spirit of improvisation that has guided me for my four years here at ASU, I have a little trick up my sleeve that I hope will suffice.  In the summer of 2015 I was lucky enough to study abroad in Paris for a month for a class titled "Food and Culture in France." Yeah, I know, what a rigorous and grueling subject for a study abroad class. In between my leisurely strolls around the Notre-Dame de Paris cathedral hearing impromptu performances from jazz quartets, craft ice cream in hand, the class took us on excursions to various food related venues. The most striking of these for me was the trip to the Rungis International Market. The Rungis Market is the largest wholesale food market in