Skip to main content

The Cost of a Culture Festival




Back in February my roommate Will made up his mind that he needed to write more. Will’s already a great writer, he currently works at a digital advertising agency as a content writer. But, as one would expect, he became tired of writing about “Five Potted Plants that Look Great on Patios” and “Ten Creative Uses for a Self-Storage Unit”. In order to expand his repertoire and reinvigorate his writing prowess, he dragged me and my roommate, Mason, along with him to the Chinese Culture and Cuisine Festival.

Make no mistake I was far from eager to experience what I imagined would be a few hours in a tourist trap. We pulled up to Margaret T. Hance Park, the one that’s literally on top of the 10 in downtown phoenix, to a scene of paper lanterns, Chinese characters and hundreds of tents serving as temporary vending stalls. I immediately felt skeptical of the ‘finanscape’ that I found myself in. Tents hosting the likes of Costco Whole Sale and the Arizona Republican Party were dotted in between people selling stir fry noodles and hand crafted tiny wooden desk buddhas.


Try as I could, I couldn’t seem to shake the idea that everything at the festival put forth a capitalist veneer. Everyone was trying to sell something, food, trinkets, Costco memberships, the whole ‘MAGA’ thing. A stage in the middle of the park served as an anchor to the whole event. Performances of traditional Chinese theatre, Chinese tea ceremonies, karate schools, Dragon Dances, and the yo-yo master “Julius the Up and Down Man” entertained crowds that had found their way through the seemingly impenetrable mass of vendors. The talents and culture of the performers almost seemed as if they were a counter point to the State Farm Insurance and Fry’s Food Stores ‘vendors’ that had taken residence near the stage.

I can’t decide how the Chinese Culture and Cuisine Festival made me feel. The ‘finanscape’ of white popup tents around the festival imparted a feeling of a tourist trap/cash grab that left me skeptical of the authenticity of the experience. However, the Chinese culture that my roommates and I did soak up was unmistakable. Perhaps the best way to experience the festival is to focus on the true culture that is being presented and to concede the tent selling Costco memberships as a necessary evil in order to expose yourself to genuine people who are excited to share their heritage with you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Early Morning Pizza at the Airport

People seem different when they’re at the airport. I’m not quite sure if I can say it’s a good different or a bad different, they’re just… different. Different in a way that makes them eat pizza and drink a glass of wine at 10:00AM. Different enough to fall asleep in public and not have any cares about people looking on. Different enough to yell right through complete strangers’ ears to get the attention of their children running amok around baggage claim. Yes, the airport, more than any other public space, changes people’s behavior to be different from the norm. I think that the strange behavior of people at the airport can be attributed to the liminal nature of the airport. Business women drinking champagne at 9:45AM and construction workers eating burgers in the next restaurant over both find themselves outside of their day to day routine. This departure from their norms accompanied with the stress of being on time for a flight seems to create some sort of confusion in which

I Dropped the Ball on this one but I hope my Consolation Prize is Pleasing

Guys, I apologize, I really dropped the ball on this first one. I didn't get the chance to go to a farmer's market this weekend and totally forgot about doing it for the rest of the week. This one is on me 100%. Not a good way to start out a blog or the semester really. But, in the spirit of improvisation that has guided me for my four years here at ASU, I have a little trick up my sleeve that I hope will suffice.  In the summer of 2015 I was lucky enough to study abroad in Paris for a month for a class titled "Food and Culture in France." Yeah, I know, what a rigorous and grueling subject for a study abroad class. In between my leisurely strolls around the Notre-Dame de Paris cathedral hearing impromptu performances from jazz quartets, craft ice cream in hand, the class took us on excursions to various food related venues. The most striking of these for me was the trip to the Rungis International Market. The Rungis Market is the largest wholesale food market in