Skip to main content

Road Trip Rob

I can’t stand the radio. “Hot 97.5 in the mix with today’s top tracks!” Really, Hot 97.5? Are they really today’s hottest tracks? Because, to me, they all sound the same played out pop music formula that’s been cut up and recycled so many times that its almost like no one cares what the final product is anymore. Oh cool, another lazy chorus sandwiched between some predictable pop beats, exactly what I was looking for. I won’t even touch on the disaster that is country music, I’ve shown enough of my self-perceived music elitism already.

Anyway, here’s a playlist I made:
The songs on here aren’t necessarily my favorite songs, they’re mostly ones that I like and think would set a good mood for a laid-back hip-hop/R&B infused road trip.

Some of my favorite quotes from the keystone tracks:

Like a Ship by Pastor T.L. Barrett and the Youth for Christ Choir:
Just like a ship, without a sail. But I’m not worried because I know. But I know we can make it.

Broken Clocks by SZA:
All I got is these broken clocks, I ain’t got no time, just burning daylight. But it’s still love, and it’s still love, and it’s still love, it’s still love, still love…

Final Hour by Lauryn Hill:
I treat this like my thesis. Well-written topic, broken down into pieces. I introduce then produce, words so profuse. It's abuse how I juice up this beat, like I'm deuce. Two people both equal like I'm Gemini, rather Simeon. If I Jimmy on this lock I could pop it, you can't stop it.

untitled 08 | 09.06.2014. by Kendrick Lamar
Why so sad, walkin’ around with them blue faces? She said I’m down on my luck and it’s something I gotta have, blue faces. I hit the bank today and told ‘em color me bad, blue faces. Yea that new money, and it’s breakin me down honey.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Early Morning Pizza at the Airport

People seem different when they’re at the airport. I’m not quite sure if I can say it’s a good different or a bad different, they’re just… different. Different in a way that makes them eat pizza and drink a glass of wine at 10:00AM. Different enough to fall asleep in public and not have any cares about people looking on. Different enough to yell right through complete strangers’ ears to get the attention of their children running amok around baggage claim. Yes, the airport, more than any other public space, changes people’s behavior to be different from the norm. I think that the strange behavior of people at the airport can be attributed to the liminal nature of the airport. Business women drinking champagne at 9:45AM and construction workers eating burgers in the next restaurant over both find themselves outside of their day to day routine. This departure from their norms accompanied with the stress of being on time for a flight seems to create some sort of confusion in which ...

I Dropped the Ball on this one but I hope my Consolation Prize is Pleasing

Guys, I apologize, I really dropped the ball on this first one. I didn't get the chance to go to a farmer's market this weekend and totally forgot about doing it for the rest of the week. This one is on me 100%. Not a good way to start out a blog or the semester really. But, in the spirit of improvisation that has guided me for my four years here at ASU, I have a little trick up my sleeve that I hope will suffice.  In the summer of 2015 I was lucky enough to study abroad in Paris for a month for a class titled "Food and Culture in France." Yeah, I know, what a rigorous and grueling subject for a study abroad class. In between my leisurely strolls around the Notre-Dame de Paris cathedral hearing impromptu performances from jazz quartets, craft ice cream in hand, the class took us on excursions to various food related venues. The most striking of these for me was the trip to the Rungis International Market. The Rungis Market is the largest wholesale food market in ...

Down the Street and to the Dam

I take my first step out of my house and suddenly I’m brought back to my infancy. I see my father waiting for me, arms outstretched, as I waddle toward him taking the very first steps of my life. The vision fades and I lock my front door and venture off my doorstep and onto the sidewalk. In the 21 years that I have been walking, I have become somewhat of an aficionado at putting one foot in front of the other. I do exactly this as I continue down my street. Cars whizz past me as I approach Hardy and Rio Salado. Usually, I’m on my bike and can keep pace with the strangers who have chosen to forego their bipedalism in favor of more rapid transportation. But today I trudge along as a mere pedestrian, the lowest man on the totem pole of transportation. I give the cross walk button one hard push and then a few more for good measure. Cars continue to be flung down the street in the chaos that is five o’clock rush hour. The light turns yellow and then red and I make all...