Skip to main content

I'm a Bay Area boy


One of the quintessential college experiences is a spring break consistent of beaches and binge drinking. Yes, most of my peers found themselves wasting away to the chants of “Chug, chug, chug,” at the Mango Deck Club in Cabo, Mexico this past week. I never had that experience, however. Five days of suffering through a crowded and boozy beach for $1500 just isn’t my thing. In my pattern of deviating from the normal college spring break I couch surfed at an old friend’s apartment in San Francisco for a few days.

I touched down in San Francisco to the confusing ballad Frontier Psychiatrist by The Avalanches with grey wet skies overhead. It was a fitting entrance considering the hellish week of tests and lab reports I finished before my escape into break. My friend, Eddie, who had flown in from Phoenix a few days earlier, and my host, Carter, picked me up from the airport in an old Dodge SUV Carter’s roommate from New York let them borrow. We drove from SFO to the Richmond District, a part of San Francisco right above Golden Gate Park. I settled into a grungy apartment filled with takeout containers, old beat up furniture and at least three bongs (it’s legal in California you know). The next day Carter had planned a party in the back yard of his San Franciscan/Victorian style three tenant house. The forecasted rain never showed up and we spent most of the afternoon drinking PBR and meeting Carter’s local crew. Carter was scheduled to DJ a party for one the fraternities that night, so we donned our rally caps and packed a good 50lbs of DJ equipment into the back of an Uber. The three of us were up on a small stage crowded around Carter’s DJ booth playing Bay Area classics like ‘Cupcake No Fillin’” for hundreds of drunk college kids. Full disclosure: Eddie and I really didn’t do any of the DJing, we mostly just danced around up on stage while Carter did all the real work.
Eddie (left) and Carter (right)





We woke up the next day a bit worse for wear and spent the day at Golden Gate Park. Carter, being the Bay Area enthusiast that he is kept reminding us that the park is in fact larger than Central Park in New York. We wandered around the park for a bit, making our way through rose and Japanese tea gardens alike. Carter and Eddie lit up a joint (I don’t partake, but again, it’s legal) as we watched ducks and geese crisscross a small lake.

It was now Monday and Carter had class. Eddie and I were left to our own devices and decided to take the bus down to the Golden Gate Bridge. I have to mention how wonderful the public transportation in San Francisco is. From there we took a five mile walk along the bay to Fisherman’s Warf. There we grabbed lunch and watched sea lions bark and sleep. That night we went out to an old 1920s movie theater that had now been converted into a bar. There were at least one hundred arcade games where the seats had once been and the 50’ screen in the front was being used to project movies as ambiance.

We woke up the next day, packed our bags and said our goodbyes and headed to the airport. On the plane ride home I came to a realization that I should move out to San Francisco at some point in my life, which is now exactly my plan after graduation.

Comments

  1. A fun post with some good moments. Would have liked you to make a bit more of the music element. I don't really see the playlist component here. But, overall a solid piece.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Early Morning Pizza at the Airport

People seem different when they’re at the airport. I’m not quite sure if I can say it’s a good different or a bad different, they’re just… different. Different in a way that makes them eat pizza and drink a glass of wine at 10:00AM. Different enough to fall asleep in public and not have any cares about people looking on. Different enough to yell right through complete strangers’ ears to get the attention of their children running amok around baggage claim. Yes, the airport, more than any other public space, changes people’s behavior to be different from the norm. I think that the strange behavior of people at the airport can be attributed to the liminal nature of the airport. Business women drinking champagne at 9:45AM and construction workers eating burgers in the next restaurant over both find themselves outside of their day to day routine. This departure from their norms accompanied with the stress of being on time for a flight seems to create some sort of confusion in which ...

I Dropped the Ball on this one but I hope my Consolation Prize is Pleasing

Guys, I apologize, I really dropped the ball on this first one. I didn't get the chance to go to a farmer's market this weekend and totally forgot about doing it for the rest of the week. This one is on me 100%. Not a good way to start out a blog or the semester really. But, in the spirit of improvisation that has guided me for my four years here at ASU, I have a little trick up my sleeve that I hope will suffice.  In the summer of 2015 I was lucky enough to study abroad in Paris for a month for a class titled "Food and Culture in France." Yeah, I know, what a rigorous and grueling subject for a study abroad class. In between my leisurely strolls around the Notre-Dame de Paris cathedral hearing impromptu performances from jazz quartets, craft ice cream in hand, the class took us on excursions to various food related venues. The most striking of these for me was the trip to the Rungis International Market. The Rungis Market is the largest wholesale food market in ...

Down the Street and to the Dam

I take my first step out of my house and suddenly I’m brought back to my infancy. I see my father waiting for me, arms outstretched, as I waddle toward him taking the very first steps of my life. The vision fades and I lock my front door and venture off my doorstep and onto the sidewalk. In the 21 years that I have been walking, I have become somewhat of an aficionado at putting one foot in front of the other. I do exactly this as I continue down my street. Cars whizz past me as I approach Hardy and Rio Salado. Usually, I’m on my bike and can keep pace with the strangers who have chosen to forego their bipedalism in favor of more rapid transportation. But today I trudge along as a mere pedestrian, the lowest man on the totem pole of transportation. I give the cross walk button one hard push and then a few more for good measure. Cars continue to be flung down the street in the chaos that is five o’clock rush hour. The light turns yellow and then red and I make all...